Saturday, February 26, 2011

Inspiration to make a difference !

Last two days were one of those wonderful days I would like to remember forever.  It gave me something to think about ‘What one can accomplish, if there is a will’…. This might sound like an inspirational quote but if you had chance to experience what I did… I am sure you would have felt the same.

Last two days I was on tour of the interior or as called in government terms ‘backward’ regions as part of my last assignment with my current firm.  The days prior to it seemed difficult for lot of reasons and anticipation of visit to the Nanded – a small town, read district HQ, on border of Maharashtra, precisely known as Marathwada.

I being coined as representative of Planning Commission, indeed we were appointed by Planning Commission, was shown all the respect that they would be extending to Central Govt. personnel, something which we as private employees don’t have a habit.

But what important I want to share with all of you, my friends, my foes and the strangers is my experience when I visited Taluka (Blocks) and Villages (Gram) for survey of some 8 schemes funded by the Central Govt. of India.  On day 1, I was visited to the village which had constructed ‘Farm Pond’ or called ‘Settalavadi’ in Marathi… probably after walking approximately 2 Kms from the main road within the farmland with various crops.  This was the awesome experience, as it made me think that this was once in lifetime experience for a city dweller like me.  These Farm Ponds are funded by Central Govt under Rastriya Krishi Vikas Yojna (RKVY) up to approximately INR 80K and farmers have to construct them on their cultivable land.  However, I found farmers a step ahead; they spread an plastic sheet on the bottom of Farm Pond so that water doesn’t dry underground.  The size of this is approximately 30X30X3 meters with capacity to store approximately 5K Sq.M water sufficient enough to farm for entire year (approx 2 and half crop season).  The inspiration here is they spent approximately 2Lacs from their pocket to spread this plastic sheet!!!  Just to make sure the scare resource ‘water’ is available through the year.   While returning from the Farm Pond, I was blessed by light rain and passing by the almost ready wheat farm, I just missed my wife along… that could have been most romantic outing!

I too visited some health centre popularly known as PHC – Primary Health Centre and was overjoyed to find an MBBS doctor with approx 7-8 years experience doing something great for the village with what salary… may be not more than 30-35K PM.   That what we called as giving back to society, your motherland… not those CSR events conducted to either give employees some change from job or to advertise one.  This guy has some tremendous things which I would term as ‘wonderful achievement’ such as he ensured that in village of approximately 8K population, there was not a single child delivery in the home since last two years (for some of city dwellers like me, please note that still in Rural India approx. 63% child are born at home or ‘dias’ place), that’s first.  It has a decent and hygienic maternity or delivery room, quite impressive and to standard of one we find in private hospitals, that’s second.  Third, he conducts approximately 150-175 OPDs, too impressive considering the villager always shy away from PHC and resort more to local options.  Last but not least, he using the funds available with him under various schemes also got a vehicle (read ambulance) sanctioned that’s something I didn’t found at most of other places in Maharashtra.  Heartiest congratulations to doctor for those wonderful ‘achievements’ & providing inspiration…

I also made couple of villages, some local politician’s representing their views about the development works and what works in villages and what not… I had an ability to hear them but no power to act on their suggestionsL.   A though just passed through me… wish the people who make policies, who take governance decisions could also listen them and act… I found most of them coming with problems as well as solutions… only one need to do is implement it with little governance control!

The next day was even more interesting than the earlier one as the local Block Development Officer came along with me to help me understand the life better…. It started from me getting a 1992 model of Mahindra Jeep (that used to be a status symbol that time… I recall someone in my family having one at their disposal).  What a wonderful trip to the block headquarters… lots of green farms and small villages, mostly neat and clean along the way…  I visited a village which had an active school with approximately 600-700 students in 5 room school (I got reassured that India’s future is bright)… indeed that’s wonderful revolutions credited to villagers, school management (govt employee again) and Sarva Siksha Abhiyan, a central Govt Funded Scheme.  During my interaction with up-sarpanch, like a day before I discovered problems and their solutions just pending was the implementation… sad to write this bitter reality.  But here what fascinated me was the presence of ‘Banking Correspondent’  or Tiny Bank as it was displayed on the billboard.   BC is one of the initiative by couple of banks for the larger financial inclusion of the remote villages into the CBS linked banking system.  The fact is this is still in pilot phase for most of bank but in this village; there were around 540 account enrollment for the same in less than two months… that is a huge success, technically!!!  This district has around 30 operations BC’s so the rough estimates says that approx 15000 villages have a bank in the village… that’s unbelievable step in financial inclusion which will open infinite doors of progress.  This was something least expected by me in region termed as ‘backward’.

While returning in that 1992 Mahindra Jeep, I was just overlooking the green farms and a rainly road thinking what all one can do, if there is a will…  This was the moment I regret my decision not to take up IAS careers seriously despite high inclination to it by my cousins and parents… I just think if there are few more people like those Medical Officer, Sarpanch, BDO and those villagers, I am sure India would have been a different story today… but during that travel I promised myself one thing… I would too contribute in such way… not sure on date,  but sure before I say my Final Good-Bye to this world… till than I would just keep sharing this story to inspire someone else who can take a correct decision when they reach their decision crossroad…  may someone wake ‘to make a difference’

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...